Skip to the content
- 80 – 83% of greyhounds racing in the UK are bred in Ireland.
- The Irish Greyhound Board (IGB) is a semi-state commercial body and receives funding of €16.8m p.a. from the Irish Government via the Horse & Greyhound Racing fund.
- €250m has been paid to the IGB since 2001.
- A 2019 RTE Investigates tv programme showed that the racing industry in Ireland is producing 1,000% more greyhounds each year than needed to sustain a racing industry.
- About 6,250 greyhounds are exported annually to the UK at prices which are less than 50% of the “production cost”. This is dumping in international trade terms.
- The RTE programme revealed that 6,000 greyhounds are culled annually.